December 21, 2023

Heat the Pig Liver V1 SS – The Reason Flowers Bloom Is

Special Short Story “The Reason Flowers Bloom Is”



“How would you feel if the flowers in the vase were still buds?”

 

I was told this over and over again when I first arrived at the Quiltlin mansion.

 

No one leaves flower buds in a vase when inviting guests over.  It is common courtesy to only display those that have flowered.  The same applies to maids.  Just as one would put blooming flowers on display, I must make sure to smile.  Even if I am not feeling happy, I must smile out of courtesy.  This was what my master, the lord, taught me.

 

Every morning, after washing my face, I would look into the mirror for some time.  The look on my face when I just woke up is an honest one.  It’s a bud that cannot be displayed in a vase.

 

As I stare at the mirror, I put some effort into my cheeks and raise the corners of my mouth.  All while imagining the bud unraveling as it blossoms into a flower.

 

To me, smiling was like a flower blooming in a vase.  I smiled for my master and his guests to see.  I smiled because I am not allowed to remain a bud.

 

I always thought such…  Until the day I met Mister Pig.

 

During the pleasant afternoon, we decided to take a short break beside a beautiful stream.

 

Mister Pig trotted towards the stream, and for no reason in particular, I followed along.

 

I thought he was going to drink the water, but he was staring intently at the stream bank instead.

 

“Is something the matter?”

 

(It’s nothing, I just thought that those forget-me-nots were blooming quite prettily.)

 

I looked in the direction where Mister Pig’s snout was pointing at.

 

If he had not mentioned it, I would not have noticed.  Those small, pale-blue flowers looked like they were studded with stars.

 

“They’re in full bloom!  How pretty!”

 

When I crouched down next to him, he turned towards me while nodding.

 

Small flowers are definitely beautiful.  They’re perfect because they bloom modestly without being too assertive.  Like violets by the roadside, forget-me-nots by the stream, and Jess’-

 

I could hear Mister Pig’s inner thoughts.  His gaze was aimed slightly below my face.

 

“……What about me is modest and not too assertive?”

 

He was clearly in a panic after my mischievous questioning.

 

(Well, uh… I was referring to your smile.  You always smile modestly after all, Jess.)

 

I couldn’t help but fall deep into thought at those words, and before I knew it, Mister Pig’s butt was facing me as he appeared to be searching for something around where the flowers were blooming.

 

He turned around and held out some forget-me-nots for me with his mouth.

 

(Sorry, Jess… I apologize if I said anything that offended you.)

 

His appearance was so cute that I couldn’t help but burst out laughing.

 

Thinking that this might be rude, I quickly turned to my side where the stream of water gently flowed.

 

The wild forget-me-nots reflected on the surface of the water were blooming vividly under the sun.

 

I also saw my own face, and I was smiling more radiantly than I had ever smiled before in front of a mirror.


No comments:

Post a Comment