December 21, 2023

Heat the Pig Liver V1 SS – The Reason Flowers Bloom Is

★Special Short Story “The Reason Flowers Bloom Is”



“How would you feel if the flowers in the vase were still buds?”

 

I was told this over and over again when I first arrived at the Quiltlin mansion.

 

No one leaves flower buds in a vase when inviting guests over.  It is common courtesy to only display those that have flowered.  The same applies to maids.  Just as one would put blooming flowers on display, I must make sure to smile.  Even if I am not feeling happy, I must smile out of courtesy.  This was what my master, the lord, taught me.

 

Every morning, after washing my face, I would look into the mirror for some time.  The look on my face when I just woke up is an honest one.  It’s a bud that cannot be displayed in a vase.

 

As I stare at the mirror, I put some effort into my cheeks and raise the corners of my mouth.  All while imagining the bud unraveling as it blossoms into a flower.

 

To me, smiling was like a flower blooming in a vase.  I smiled for my master and his guests to see.  I smiled because I am not allowed to remain a bud.

 

I always thought such…  Until the day I met Mister Pig.

 

During the pleasant afternoon, we decided to take a short break beside a beautiful stream.

 

Mister Pig trotted towards the stream, and for no reason in particular, I followed along.

 

I thought he was going to drink the water, but he was staring intently at the stream bank instead.

 

“Is something the matter?”

 

(It’s nothing, I just thought that those forget-me-nots were blooming quite prettily.)

 

I looked in the direction where Mister Pig’s snout was pointing at.

 

If he had not mentioned it, I would not have noticed.  Those small, pale-blue flowers looked like they were studded with stars.

 

“They’re in full bloom!  How pretty!”

 

When I crouched down next to him, he turned towards me while nodding.

 

─Small flowers are definitely beautiful.  They’re perfect because they bloom modestly without being too assertive.  Like violets by the roadside, forget-me-nots by the stream, and Jess’-

 

I could hear Mister Pig’s inner thoughts.  His gaze was aimed slightly below my face.

 

“……What about me is modest and not too assertive?”

 

He was clearly in a panic after my mischievous questioning.

 

(Well, uh… I was referring to your smile.  You always smile modestly after all, Jess.)

 

I couldn’t help but fall deep into thought at those words, and before I knew it, Mister Pig’s butt was facing me as he appeared to be searching for something around where the flowers were blooming.

 

He turned around and held out some forget-me-nots for me with his mouth.

 

(Sorry, Jess… I apologize if I said anything that offended you.)

 

His appearance was so cute that I couldn’t help but burst out laughing.

 

Thinking that this might be rude, I quickly turned to my side where the stream of water gently flowed.

 

The wild forget-me-nots reflected on the surface of the water were blooming vividly under the sun.

 

I also saw my own face, and I was smiling more radiantly than I had ever smiled before in front of a mirror.


No comments:

Post a Comment