January 13, 2024

Heat the Pig Liver V3 SS – A Hero Can’t Fulfill Love

Melonbooks Limited Short Story “A Hero Can't Fulfill Love”



The pie served for dinner was cold.  So I straightforwardly remarked, “It’s cold.”

 

And yet, Itsune glared at me like she was looking at a pig before responding.

 

“Well then, Nott, why don’t you think about it and figure out why there’s a cold pie then?”

 

What did she mean by that?  I turned my attention towards the large, white tablecloth-covered dining table.  From what I could tell, my portion was one slice of a pie that was equally divided into six pieces.  That was all that was served on my plate, and I didn’t spot the other five slices.  The platter that should have held the pie before it was divvied up was also missing.

 

I don’t like fussing over the details like a certain sleazy pig, but I also didn’t want to be made to look like an idiot by Itsune, so I gave it a little more thought.

 

The fact that the pie was cold meant it was baked quite some time ago; and the lack of a platter, as well as the rest of them not currently having a share, indicated that they had all eaten the pie while I was away.

 

“While I was away” referring to when I had left with Jess, that sleazy pig, and the virgin prince to find a perverted bastard.

 

“You mean you left this for me on purpose?  You guys should’ve just finished it off.”

 

I was too irritated at being served a cold pie that I never asked for to offer a word of thanks, so I responded in a way that turned them down.

 

Josh wrinkled his brows in disbelief.

 

“If the pie was meant for us, Nott, then why would we leave a slice for you when we have no idea when you would return?  So, who do you think made that pie?”

 

I looked around the table, and soon noticed Celes, with her ears red, staring down at her feet.  As my attention turned towards her, she panickingly shook her hands in front of her chest.

 

“No, it’s uh... m-my… um…  I’m sorry.  It’s my fault for not reheating it.  After all, a cold pie doesn’t taste good.”

 

Celes tried to get up in a hurry, but Itsune, who was next to her, gently held her down by her shoulders.

 

“Do you have anything to say to Celes, Nott?”

 

Itsune’s eyebrow was raised.  Everyone’s gazes from across the table were focused on me.

 

I simply responded with “Well, as long as it fills my stomach,” and silently finished the rest of my dinner.

 

I couldn’t help but feel unpleasant about this, so before going to sleep, I headed towards Celes’ bedroom. 

 

When I opened her door, I spotted a black pig playing with her.  As soon as he noticed me, he straightened up and left the room as if nothing had happened.  I initially thought he was running away, but this was probably Sanon’s way of being considerate.

 

Meanwhile, Celes, in her nightgown, hastily covered her chest with her arms.

 

“E-eeeeeh!?  Wha-, um, Mr. Nott…?  W-why are you…”

 

I shut the door behind me, and approached Celes.  She backed away in response, eventually stumbling into her bed and sitting down on it.  I gently sat beside her.

 

“So, about that, uh…”

 

As I was about to broach the subject, she glanced up towards me while fidgeting with her hair.

 

I finally uttered the words that were stuck in my throat.

 

“… was tasty.”

 

“Huh…?”

 

Celes stopped her restless movements and stared straight at me.

 

“I was talking about your pie…  Sorry I couldn’t eat it while it was still warm.  Rabbit pie is my favorite, so you baked it for me.  …It was tasty.”

 

I sucked at putting things into words, so I lightly patted Celes’ head to smooth it over.

 

“Sorry for keeping you up, go get some rest.”

 

That’s all there was to it – I simply came to thank her, yet Celes’ expression and moist wide eyes were as if all her wishes had just come true.

 

Back in my own room, I thought about Celes.  She wasn’t like other women who would try to make moves on me.  She genuinely wished for my happiness over her own.  The extent of her devotion was almost worrying.

 

I get it.  I know I should make her happy, and I know I’m someone that can make that happen.  But…

 

Jess’ appearance surfaced in my mind.  Whenever I see her face, I’m always reminded.  I’m always reminded of Ys.

 

Forgive me, Celes.  But as long as I’m still me, there’s only one woman I’ll ever love.


No comments:

Post a Comment